3MT – 3 Minute Thesis Competition
At the 2020 IUFoST World Congress there will be, for the first time, a 3MT competition sponsored by the University of Auckland. The winner will receive $2000 USD. The 3MT competition is open to all students currently enrolled in a PhD in food science, technology or engineering.
What is a 3MT?
A 3MT challenges participants to present their research in just 180 seconds, in an engaging form that can be understood by an intelligent audience with no background in the research area. It develops presentation, research and academic communication skills and supports the development of a research student’s capacity to explain their work effectively.
The first 3MT competition was held at the University of Queensland, Australia in 2008. It is now held in over 600 universities across more than 86 countries worldwide.
Active PhD and Professional Doctorate (Research) candidates who have successfully passed their confirmation milestone (including candidates whose thesis is under submission) by the closing date for entries are eligible to participate in this 3MT competition. PhD graduates are not eligible.
How to Enter
- Competitors should upload a video of themselves presenting their 3MT to the linked Dropbox.
- Videos must have a resolution of 360p or less.
- Application submission deadline dates will be confirmed as soon as possible. Sufficient notice will be given.
- One single static PowerPoint slide is permitted with no slide transitions, animations or ‘movement’ of any description. Your slide is to be presented from the beginning of your oration, and no additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted. The slide and your presentation must be in English.
- The 3MT competition will run during the afternoons on Tuesday 18th and Wednesday 19th August 2020. Successful entrants will need to register for at least those two days.
A few suggestions that will help you in writing your presentation, creating your slide and practising your presentation can be found here: threeminutethesis.uq.edu.au/resources/3mt-competitor-guide
You can watch 3MT videos from around the world on YouTube and also here: threeminutethesis.uq.edu.au/watch-3mt.